CompeerCORPS connects a Veteran with another Veteran in recovery to foster hope, develop friendships, and offer supportive help where needed.
- Matching interests, needs and demographics
- Meeting four hours a month at a place chosen by the person
- Developing friendships
- Connecting to the community
Recent research by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) estimates that 20 veterans die by suicide every day across the USA – almost one veteran is lost per hour. Veterans are our family, friends and neighbors who have served our country and deserve our help. Southeastern Pennsylvania has the largest population of veterans in the Commonwealth. We are committed to helping and honoring veterans.
Goals of the program:
- Enhance self-esteem and self-worth
- Improve connectedness to civilian society
- Reduce the feelings of loneliness, isolation, and judgment
- Reduce dependency on emergency services
- Gain a sense of empowerment, control, and hope
- Reduce stigma through friendship
- Create a supportive environment that will assist veterans on the road to recovery
Please help us help veterans. Click here to visit www.compeerfriends.org/compeercorps for more information. To apply to be a Compeer Volunteer, click here to complete the online application. You may also help financially by sending your tax deductible donations to the office or give online to support veterans. Thank you for helping us help veterans.
A Glimpse into One CompeerCORPS Relationship
“I felt like no one would understand me. I felt rejected and judged but my friend has transformed my life by simply talking and being there throughout my recovery. My Compeer volunteer never gave up on me. We enjoy spending time eating out and doing grocery shopping together.”
-James and Peter, both veterans, have been matched for one year