At H.E.A.L., we are here to Help, Empathize, Advocate, and Listen.
HEAL outreaches to adolescents and young adults to offer Help with mental health issues and addictions; Empathize – understand their situation; Advocate through education and leadership development; and to Listen, Listen, Listen!
Some of the objectives of the program are to:
- Develop a team of youth and young adults who will reach out to their peers to build trusting relationships.
- Focus primarily on identifying and meeting the needs of youth and young adults in minority communities.
- Break the stigma and other barriers around seeking help for mental health challenges and addictions.
- Enhance/increase knowledge and information about available resources to address these needs.
- Help youth, young adults and their families navigate through systems and services where needed.
- Connect through social media and offer workshops, forums and events throughout Chester County.
- Be a bridge between communities and services so all youth and young adults get the help they need when they are young.
- Support Chester County’s Recovery Oriented System of Care (ROSC) goals of early outreach, engagement and development of natural supports.
“It’s important that we share our experiences with other people. Your story will heal you and your story will heal somebody else. When you tell your story, you free yourself and give other people permission to acknowledge their own story.” (Iyania Vanzant)
“At the root of this dilemma is the way we view mental health in this country. Whether an illness affects your heart, your leg or your brain, it’s still an illness, and there should be no distraction.”
– Michelle Obama
“Owning our story and loving ourselves through that process is the bravest thing that we will ever do.” – Brené Brown
“There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.” ― John Green